Monday 17 December 2012

Bookmarks

Well finally writing something again having at last found something which hasn't been blocked! I was really annoyed that reference management sites are still blocked. I will perhaps tackle IT about unblocking them but am not very hopeful of success.
After a week of (intermittent) trying I have managed to get into MyLibrary. This wasn't officially blocked - just wouldn't open. And I have added a new bookmark and checked that some of the feeds I had on there before were still up todate. I used to use  this quite a lot and recommend it to people who would sometimes be working from home. In fact last week someone was in for training who could have benefitted but as it hadn't been working earlier that day I didn't risk showing her.
I did think of showing her delicious but decided I needed to be a bit more confident myself first. I had set up a delicious account last year but not persued it. As we are not allowed to have the little thing on the toolbar it's a little clumsy to use, but I was experimenting with collecting together things to answer various queries. I should probably get back to this.
As for personal pages I made one with igoogle when we attempted to do the 23 things ( again some blocked) It was quite fun especially the little penguins I found to put on it but I can't really see why I need it. Although one of our readers has one and says she couln't live without it.

We have a netvibes site. Not brilliant but at least it has feeds from most of our journals and a few other things. Again this is something I might do some more work on. It hasn't been very well promoted as we periodically have periods when it is very slow over the trust network I't not too bad at the moment. One irritating feature of it at the moment is that it opens at the tab where something was most recently added to  or changed instead of the home. I have just looked at the Northants one and that would appear to  be doing the same.


Totally irrelevant picture just to liven things up a bit!

1 comment:

  1. sorry to hear you've been having such a frustrating time with the blockages. it doesn't help when NHS resources don't open either! grr
    but please that you persisted.
    Glad to hear you're finding a real use for netvibes too - do post a link, it'd be great to see how you've created a useful too.
    ps - like the lemming/vole critter.

    ReplyDelete